Search this blog

Are you looking for a pattern? Just type the name of the character and let Google find it for you ;)

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Finishes, new projects (and a link party)

Finishes are rolling in, but the list doesn't get shorter because of new projects ;)

The Ongoing Project List:
  1. the SK project - no progress
  2. Tea Towel challenge and PPV BOM - dooooooone
    (this is my April project for a Lovely Year of Finishes)
  3. SYS2015 future projects - blocks done, ready to be assembled in the object! cannot share
  4. D wall hanging -  one little block done!
  5. B quilt - no progress
  6. Sewing machine cover -  doooooone!
  7. Block Swap Adventure - nothing new for April
  8. Spangled Stars Quilt-along - planned to join!
The EverythingElse List:
  1. Embroidery calendar - no progress
  2. Animal blocks for charity quilts - paused for a while
  3. Project of Doom 2015 @ Fandom in Stitches - paused for a while
  4. College Days Blog Hop blocks for tote/grocery bag -  no progress
  5. Alice in Wonderland quilt - no progress
  6. As You Wish -  no progress
  7. Happy Halloween wall hanging -  no progress
  8. Crazy optical illusion -  no progress
  9. Memory quilt 2 - no progress.
--
The Voting for the Marsala Quilt Challenge is open over @ onthewindyside! You should go there and check all those entries!! Mine is in the Mini (number 8), just in case you want to give it some love ;)

--

The whole project started as the "Tea Towel Challenge" (@ sophie junction).
So I got the tea towel and I used it as the center piece. Then I reproduced the motif in the main design as paper piecing border around it.
And then the amazing Jen started her BOM (Paper Piecing Vintage). So I decided to merge the two and not following any of their rules I made my own ;)
So I didn't follow Sophie's deadline, nor Jen layout, but I really love how it turned out!!

Few notes on the finishing touches:

  • I was super afraid of quilting it. Because I decided to do something I never do: use all-over designs not connected to the piecing. I was afraid that my bad skills in quilting and in picking desings would have ruined the piecing. But overcoming my fears I did it anyway and I realized that even if I used cream thread, it doesn't stand out against the blue! It just give a different texture! So fear of all-over designs is over!! :)
  • I tried a nice and simple motif shared by Susan a few weeks ago. I used a simplified version and tried it with two different scales. I used my walking foot to quilt this and I really like how it's soft and subtle, but interesting. This is definitely something I am going to use again!
  • Confident about the previous design, I wanted to try a more complex one in free motion. So I picked Deco Leaves by Leah Day. I hated the entire process! The stitching was super hard, frustrating, nothing was working, I kept getting stuck because of bulky seams, the stitches were super inconsistent, I broke one needle, I hated quilting, I hated my life, I hated everything while I was doing that :) ok, once I stop stitching this section, I went back to my normal status of loving my life and sewing ;) but I guess you understand the spirit. Despite the messiness of the process and my opinion on the design (too dense for my taste), it didn't turn out too bad after washing... I can barely see it, so this is just a lesson for me: never ever ever ever again try to FMQ on a pieced  block :) if all the seams are open or on a blank piece of fabric, maybe...
  • Because I didn't want to repeat the same design that gave me so much trouble, I started doing some tangles borders on my notepad and came up with this simple design which I absolutely love! I stitched it with my walking foot, so a lot of turning, but not too bad since the design is pretty small and I didn't need to turn the whole quilt most of the time. This is another design that I will definitely use again!!
  • I absolutely love the 2 colors (piped) binding but I struggled joining the sections at the end. Again Susan came to the rescue with a great tutorial! Absolutely perfect joining, if I didn't know where it is I wouldn't even being able to tell (hint: it's in one of the picture, but not in this one)!! ;)
  • Finally, since this is a wall hanging that I wanted to hang on the wall I tried to put a sleeve on! First sleeve ever and, guess where I find help for that: right, Susan again with a simple hanging sleeve tutorial!


This is my finish for April for a Lovely Year of Finishes and the FINISH #1 for Q2 of the Finish Along!!

Oh, and because Susan really seams to be perfectly in line with what I need and what I like, she is starting a great Quilt Along! The design is very beautiful, however I think I will need to change the colors, because despite white being a wonderful background for that design, it doesn't seem to be appropriate for a quilt that I may want to drag around for picnics or on the beach ;) but we'll see!

Click the button for more information!!

--
And speaking about the Finish along... I also have FINISH #2!! (wow, 2 finishes in one week!!)

(Patterns by Susanne @ Quilt it out, Amy @ Badskirt,  Joanna Shape Moth and by HTaBQuilts)

So I had these blocks for quite a while and I made them with the idea of covering my previous sewing machine (which didn't have a hard cover). But now the new sewing machine has a hard cover that I really like, except that is white and plain! So I decided to use those blocks to make a snugly cover for the cover :)
Since this is a little smaller than the original cover, the blocks are not perfectly centered, but I really like the way it turned out anyway! I did some straight line quilting to mimic the lines on a notepad (since the fabric is graph paper with equations and geometric formulae) :)
It was a very quick project, and it has been sitting there for months! Thanks to the incentive of the Finish Along I actually finished it!!

--
Finally, I made the second block for the D wall hanging for my dad: second part of the fence!

--
What are YOU going to link?

5 comments:

  1. Amazing! I love the fence :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt looks fabulous. Thank heavens for great tutorials online!!! Love the fence block too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fence! Nice work!
    So happy to hear you'll be doing my quilt-along. I've worked up other color options to give you inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your finish! Just wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sewing machine cover is very practical too. I'm visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!
Please share your thoughts on my projects with me!

UA-37918212-1