Search this blog

Are you looking for a pattern? Just type the name of the character and let Google find it for you ;)

Saturday, March 18, 2017

WHY? I need your help! (and a link party)

In weeks full of burocratic craziness, making things is what keeps me sane! :)

The Ongoing Project List:
  1. Growing Up QAL - completed two April blocks, an one May block (cannot share)
  2. Splendid Sampler - two blocks done (see below)
  3. Charity quilts - no progress
  4. SK project - no progress
  5. Molli Sparkle's "The Honey Pot Bee" - shared on March 1st!!!
  6. Project QUILTING - "Old times, good times" COMPLETED (see below)
  7. En Provence QAL - no progress
  8. Journaling into my Quilter's Planner - no progress
  9. 70273 Project - no progress
  10. Book binding - two little notebook done (see below)
  11. Twilters! Bee - March block done (see below)
  12. MP pillow cover - done! it's my entry for Project QUILTING (see below)
  13. MP hat - changed my mind... made a little pouch instead (see below)
  14. 2017 Pantone Quilt Challenge: entries will be open from May 19 to May 29. My piece is ready since January :)

When the Challenge 6 of Project QUILTING was announced I had a hard TIME finding the inspiration :). I didn't want to interpret it litterally as I imagine many would and I always want to be different :) Well, time made me think about "old times"... "old times" "fun times"... and this means Disney! :) yes, from where I was able to read to waaaay after I started college, every week, I read the Topolino (an italian comics magazine with the adventure of Donal Duck, Mickey Mouse and their friends and family). That is why I made the following piece (inspired by recent books about Art History... aren't these duck Mona Lisa and Cezanne's duck model just so cute??)

"Old times, good times"
(38'' x 23'')

Of course I refer to the red bleeding :( :( :(
I know why the bleeding happened, I forgot the color catcher, that is not my question...
My question is, WHY did only ONE fabric absorbed the red loose color?
I am a scientist so I want to know...

The two applique pieces are absolutely perfect, no change in color there. This could be because they have Heat'n'Bond on the back, which may change the physical properties of those fabric pieces.
Ok.. that makes sense...
What it DOESN'T make much sense to me is why the absorption pattern is not consistent.

You can see above that the ombre fabric absorbed all of the red color but right against the part where there is a lot of red, the light blue fabric didn't absorbe a thing! The backing fabric also didn't absorbe anything and it is not any more pink than when it started.
The ombre fabric is designer high-quality fabric...
The light blue fabric is designer high-quality fabric...
The backing fabric is big box store fabric...

So can someone help me understand this phenomenon?

By the way, I am not too sad about the bleeding because I was planning to applique flowers around the two Lady Ducks anyway, so no problem there... plus the slight pink tone of the background now makes it more integrated with the other colors of the piece :)

My last two Splendid Sampler blocks... my total count is 44 and I have a plan to put them in an interesting layout... more on this later next month

My block for the Twilter's Bee swap

Two more little handmade notebook stitching the bookbinding :)

I was planning to make my mom a little knitted hat... then I tried to knit a head band... after 1 hour of knitting I remember that I highly dislike knitting :)

Then I found this video for a cute Accordion Pouch by Shabby Fabrics: it is sooooo easy, sooo fast and sooooo cute... Another Xmas present for 2017! :)

How about you? What are YOU up to?
Link it here and share it with me!!


  1. I know that the bleeding was an accident but the results are very cool :)

  2. well I didn't even realize from the photo that that was red bleed on that - I thought it was a funky kind of mottled color fabric - maybe it looks different up close

  3. The bleeding actually created a super cool pattern. Just love. Can't help you with why? As I had the same problem with my Pod.

  4. I wish I had an explanation for you. It does look cool though.

  5. I like the bleeding! I didn't even know it wasn't intentional until I read the post. I just assumed you chose that fabric. I have no idea why it didn't affect the ducks or the background fabric. Do you prewash your fabrics? Maybe the background had an additive that prevented bleed if it hasn't been prewashed.

  6. did you prewash? I prewash everything because of chemicals, so that might help absorbing of other colors as well as getting rid of excess color. First of all, say thank you because the color shift looks terrific.
    Second of all, isn't it amazing that color can shift after processing, and when we hand dye, we go through all kind of procedures to ensure it sets.

  7. I've had that happen before. My guess is that the fibers are treated with some chemical that might/won't absorb loose dye. Who knows how fabrics are processed before they appear in the store. Thanks again for sharing!

  8. I wouldn't have realized it bled! It looks fantastic! Thanks for joining in all the fun! (and I have no idea why some wicked it and some didn't ... sorry!)


Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!
Please share your thoughts on my projects with me!